Some notes ant thought taken during the Google Academy Digital Analytics fundamentals course.
It's all about "Using data to drive change".
- Size of audience
- Locations of visitors
- Why did you come here?
- Where you able to comlete your task?
- What is a pleasant experience?
- => Survey-like data.
Business objectives. Can be booth online and offline.
- Sell products (ecommerce)
- Lead generation (product sites)
- Engagement and frequent visitiaion (content publ, ad show)
- Help cusomers find information (support)
- Drive awareness, engagement and loyalty (brand)
Sign up for e-mail newsletter
Continuos Improvement Process
- Measure - collecting data
- Report - package data for decision makers
- Analysis - Identify larger trends, comparing to benchmarks
- Test - Different solutions to problems identified during analysis.
- Improve - Repeat the above process
- Why patterns change? Is it a certain source that makes sales increase?
- Day or Hour? Marketing channel? Platform? Geography?
- Growth compared to industry growth?
- Growth compared to own historical data?
Conversions and attribution
micro -> micro -> micro -> macro
Assign credit to a conversion - Last-click attribution - Linear attribution - First-click attribution Think basket ball game. The player who scores or the whole team?
- Business objectives and strategies
- Understand analytics and what it can do
- Technical skill to implement
- Define measurement plan
- Document technical infrastructure
- Create implementation plan
- Maintain and refine the measurement plan
Create a measurement plan
- Define and document business objectives (mission, övergripande filosofi). "Help peopla bla bla"
- Identify strategies (actions) and tactics (through/how action is made) that support objectives.
- "Sell products" through "Sell online" and "Drive store visits".
- "Engage users" through "Drive blog engagement"
- Choose KPI metrics that matches the strategy. How to understand performance.
- Sell: Total revenue. Avg order value.
- Sell: Visits to find store location. How many printed coupons.
- Engagement: Recency/frequency. Social shares.
- Choose segments needed
- Marketing channel
- New vs returning
- Choose targets for each KPI
- Ecommerce - Sell products or services
- Lead generation - Collecting lead information
- Content publisher - Engagement and frequent visitation
- Online Information - Help user find information quickly
- Branding - Awareness, engagement and loyalty
Use the url builder to track campaigns https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867
Thoughts / Sum-up after the course
It was good to get some basic theory what's behind Google Analytics and what and how it can be used as well as having a better understanding for the terms used in regards to general digital analytigs and specific to Google Analytics.